Contend Earnestly: Suffering with Joy in Christ

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Suffering with Joy in Christ

My dad is going in for surgery once again today to take out the hip they just put in last week. This surgery will be close to his 20th major surgery in the past 40 years. Meaning, he has a major surgery every other year. We have been quite used this as a family, but as he gets older it is becoming evident that his immune system is seriously breaking down. We don't know what is in store for Him. We do know that from the reading of Scriptures that it seems like those who suffer most in this world, suffer, so that they can see the glory of God more clearly in heaven. I told my mom yesterday that she might never know why her husband of almost 35 years is having to go through such harsh pain every day of his life. But, I told her that the great hope is that his tears will pass, his pain will pass and when in heaven, his voice will be calling to his Saviour who died and rose again on his behalf to take away his earthly pain to give him the eternal glories and rest in God. That is something to praise God about. We are merely pilgrims in this world, awaiting the eternal hope we have in Christ Jesus. Here is a small note that he emailed me yesterday, I hope that it can somehow bless you:

I’m sitting up this afternoon, (Monday), going through emails. I don’t know if your mom told you yet, but I’m not going to be able to keep my new hip. The surgeon came in this morning and said the new hip is infected with MRSA, and due to past experiences with extensive use of antibiotics, and the complication and strength of the MRSA strain of Staph, they don’t want to take a chance that I develop C-Dif again. They’re taking me back in for surgery tomorrow, (they don’t know what time yet). They will take out the new hip and put in another Antibiotic Space. They will give me antibiotics for the next 6 weeks to clean it out, and try again to put in a new permanent hip after that if they can confirm I am clean of infection.

If this is a teeny bit like Job, maybe God will give the business extra grace after this trial is over. God is in control. I am his servant, and this is my assignment for now. I do praise Him that he does care for us and does hurt with us through our hurts, but has a wonderful plan for our lives and the rest of eternity. My response of joy to Him during the tough times is my gift back to Him.

- David

6 comments:

Morgimo's Madness said...

Wow! Your dad is a good man and a great example.

Michael said...

Bro i am praying for your father and your family! Your dad is a hard core, sold out, Jesus-freak. It was such a blessing to read what you wrote! Your father is truly God's warrior. It is such a blessing! Be blessed my friend!

Anonymous said...

I know you thank God for your dad. Now I do too.

lisayunt said...

Your Dad is amazing Seth! When a loved one is going through a tough ordeal, it's so much easier to cope as a friend/ family member etc. when the patient has strong faith. While we all know what awaits for eternity, it is tough to watch our parents go through things like this. I'm sorry you're going through all of this now.

Hari said...

i know how it will be when loved ones are suffering...

I pray for your dad to give him strength to endure pain so that he may receive glory in heaven

Anonymous said...

Seth, I believe that we are all blessed for knowing your father. He is an amazing gentleman and a hero to Jim and I. He is a 'good and faithful servant' and I know that he is a shining example to all of us who are fortunate enough to know him. He takes humility to a whole new level. I pray daily for both of your parents. Carol

Related Posts with Thumbnails